Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Syracuse Squeezes Out Extra Inning Victory

Finally, I have become a baseball manager! Well, not quite, but I was the one screaming for the squeeze play during Russ Adams' at bat, before he showed bunt. I'm not sure if it was a coincidence (bare in mind Doug Davis is not a very big risk taker and Adams didn't show bunt on the first pitch), but it was a beautifully executed play. In fact, I was amazed that after the first two shows of bunt, that Rochester's manager didn't move his 3rd baseman to at least a normal position (he was very far from the 3rd base line). But no changes occurred and Russ Adams laid a beauty down the 3rd base line, squeezing home the winning run..with 2 outs no less.

It was a pitcher's duel for the majority of the game, with starters David Purcey and Francisco Liriano pitching masterful games. Purcey left the game after pitching 6 good shutout innings, while Liriano went 7 innings, giving up 2 runs (both of which in the 7th). Syracuse turned the relief duties to Brandon League who pitched well, until the 9th inning where he gave up two runs and was only able to get one out before being replaced. Things settled down after that until the game winning sequence for Syracuse.

It all started with Wayne Lydon getting a single on an infield chopper. Buck Coats was up next and executed a poor bunt. The pitcher came off the mound to field it and threw to second base. The throw would have beat Lydon but was a bit wild, pulling the fielder off second base, allowing both runners to be safe. After an Adam Lind pop out, Matt Watson hit a grounder to the first baseman, whom was only able to get the force at 1st. Russ Adams was then up, which was his first at bat in a few days, as he seems to have been nursing a minor injury. Adams had been brought in as a fielding substitute to start the 9th.

After the game, I saw Rochester outfielder Denard Span return from getting X-rays. He took a pitch off his finger on a bunt attempt late in the game. I don't want to speculate, but he did not seem very happy about the outcome.

It was a bit fun having people in my section look at me with awe as the Chiefs won the game, then slap me five for my great call. Yes, I will pat myself on the back once in awhile!

After an off day on Wednesday, Syracuse hits the road to face Norfolk on Thursday.

No comments: