Saturday, May 17, 2008

Roster Moves: Syracuse with 2 Infielders?

In a day of roster shuffling, confusion sets in for anyone who has watched the Syracuse lineup. It started with David Purcey being sent to Toronto for a spot start. What this did was make it necessary to open up a spot on the active roster. This was done by optioning Jorge Velandia to Syracuse. This is where it becomes interesting, as Velandia has a 3 day period to decide whether to join Syracuse or become a free agent. I, obviously, do not know if a decision has been made, but he is not on the Syracuse roster at the moment. David Purcey is already on the Syracuse roster. Since he was just a spot start, there was no reason for Toronto to keep him, so they decided to take Hector Luna. Another problem is that Luna is not on the 40 man roster, which means they will need to make room for him. I'll be the first to admit that the roster rules are a bit complex at times, so I could be wrong in some of my assumptions. What I do know is that as of right now, I only see 21 active players on the Syracuse roster. Would Velandia be allowed to join before Saturday's game? I don't know. What I do know is New Hampshire has 24 active players and Dunedin has 25 active players, as per their rosters. How can your Triple-A team, be held from 21-23 active for over a week? Of course, I would have also recalled Bill Murphy for a spot start, than using Purcey twice, when he spent the whole year in Double-A last year, but I guess since Jesse Litsch did so well, they assume everyone will adapt as quickly as him..... (this is not a slam at Purcey, but I just think you should let him develop more in Triple-A)

Unfortunately, this is nothing new. At some point, though, I would have hoped that Toronto put aside whatever issues they have with Syracuse and actually did what was best to help the club, which shockingly would help Toronto in the long run, too. I'll give the Chiefs a lot of credit, though. Even without a full staff, they keep finding ways to win. They have the best road record in the league (14-7), which has to make you wonder why they are only a game over .500 at home (11-10). But I guess that's something we could speculate about in another column.

No comments: