Friday, June 6, 2008

Chiefs Clipped In Extras

It's games like this that actually motivate me to write on here. Syracuse did not deserve to win, but they still almost pulled out the game. Unfortunately, another Brandon League wild pitch let the eventual winning run score in the 11th. League has had great stuff, but his control has been downright awful at times. He had two wild pitches tonight for, I believe, a total five so far in only 32 innings with Syracuse. But I can't blame League for the loss. The game should have never gone as far as it did. In the ninth inning, Wayne Lydon reached on a single. The next was one to baffle the whole crowd, but alas is typical Doug Davis managing. Buck Coats came up to bat. Coats is Syracuse's second best hitter. The first pitch was a hit and run attempt hit foul. Fine, I like that decision. The problem is, the next pitch was bunt foul and apparently Coats was given the bunt signal with TWO strikes. That's right, you have your fastest player on 1st, one of your best hitters at bat, and you have him BUNT. There is little chance of a double play with Lydon and a nearly as fast Coats. This is about the third or fourth time I have seen Davis have a player bunt with two strikes. Does he trust his players that little to put the ball into play by swinging? Or does he think that every single one of his players is a master at bunting. Let's also not forget that apparently every player runs a 4.4 40 yard dash in Davis' eyes, since he's sent runners home whom had no reason to be tagging up in some of the situations they have. Anyways, Coats bunts it foul and Syracuse ends up scoring nothing in the inning.

My biggest rant is another thing I have picked up on from Davis. I have heard heckling from around me on the 1st base side. Nothing profane, nothing personal, just comments on decisions he has made..mostly the things I outlined in the previous paragraph. His reaction twice this series was to make a talking hand motion and then to point over to a spot next to the dugout. Now, is he challenging said hecklers to a fight? I have a feeling we know why Davis had no success as a player. He apparently cannot take criticism or block out the crowd. I wonder how Davis would react to reading half of my entries? Will he be sending me a nasty email challenging me? I have to wonder if he'd go Charlie Manuel if we actually had any news stations or newspapers covering the games hardcore like most other cities would. Unfortunately, I have a very hard time envisioning this team reaching the playoffs with Davis at the helm.

Anyways.... what's up with Russ Adams lately? He's on an 0 for 17 slump, 3 for 29 dating back to May 29th. Here's to hoping that the change of scenery helps him on the road trip.

I have to think that maybe the 6th inning could have been avoided if Bill Murphy had been on a shorter leash. He had a total of 6 walks and looked like his stuff wasn't so great the whole night. Syracuse was lucky to only give up 2 runs in the 6th.

Pawtucket won, Scranton lost, and Louisville won tonight. This puts Syracuse still 1/2 game out of first, but holding onto the wild card by 1/2 over Pawtucket and Louisville.

Syracuse starts an 11 game road trip tomorrow. They play division leading Scranton for 3, while travelling to these same Columbus Clippers for 4, and Toledo for 4 games. These are must win games, as Columbus and Toledo are teams that could end up battling for the wild card (though Toledo is currently leading their division.

No comments: