Saturday, April 19, 2008

Chiefs Make It Five... and A Big Hmmmm

As I stated yesterday, I was unable to make Saturday's game where Syracuse beat Lehigh Valley. But after looking over the changes within the past 24 hours, I felt I had to write something for my bunch of readers.

Earlier in the week, Blue Jays reliever Brian Wolfe was placed on the disabled list. Due to AJ Burnett's playing in the extra inning game early in the week, he was unable to make his start for which David Purcey was called up. Purcey did his duty and has since been sent down. This is where things get interesting. Shawn Camp was called up to cover for Wolfe. Camp, however, was not on the 40 man roster, which meant that someone on that roster had to be designated for assignment. Josh Banks was the player designated for assignment. What this did was make him unavailable to pitch in Saturday's game. I have no clue what the plans are for him, but they have to decide within ten days to either place Banks on waivers to keep him with Syracuse, trade Banks, or release him.

The thing that stings is that he missed his spot in the rotation. Obviously, with the win Saturday, it was a "no harm, no foul" type situation, but I still wish there was a way to have held off for the day. Most teams wouldn't put themselves shorthanded, however, which is understandable. Such is the life of a minor league baseball fan.

As for the recall of Camp, he has pitched great so it is well deserved. I expected Brandon League to be sent back, but I think Camp is the better choice for Toronto. Speaking of injured pitchers, I am still wondering where Lance Carter is.


Taking a quick look at Saturday's box score, it's great to see the pitchers getting out of jams. The double play in the seventh was clutch at keeping the one run lead in tact. I am also hoping that the home run by Matt Watson will give him that extra boost in an otherwise struggle filled first month of the season.

Syracuse is still two games behind Scranton, who beat Rochester 1-0 on Saturday.

I'm not even going to bother with the probable pitchers, considering they keep killing me on them.

Chiefs try to make it six in a row..2pm Sunday.

No comments: