Friday, July 6, 2007

7/6/07: Does Davis Read This...

I will admit, I didn't catch much of last night's game. That is, until after all of the post-4th of July fireworks occurred. Three or four Chiefs were ejected last night. Russ Adams, Blaine Neal, and manager Doug Davis (see my last article) were all tossed. Sal Fasano left the game in the 10th, however I cannot get word on if it was an ejection or not, as I turned the radio on after everything had occurred. I find it humorous that Doug Davis gets tossed the very next game after I write what I did about him. Davis, are you reading this?

As for after the ejections, things got even more interesting. With Fasano out of the game, the Chiefs had to turn to the game's first baseman, Ryan Roberts to catch. Erik Kratz was unavailable due to an injury that occurred the previous night. Listening to Bobby Mac, it almost sounds like the umpire was involved in Kratz's injury, but I have no official word. The Chiefs end up winning the game, as Ryan Houston pitched a 1-2-3 inning with Roberts catching.

Two roster moves within the past day or two have occurred. Erik Kratz was placed on the 7 day DL today, which of course means that Toronto sends us a catcher, David Corrente from single A Dunedin. Serving as their backup, Corrente batted .207 in 28 games for Dunedin. I just have trouble understanding how you can't reward a player by moving him up, instead of just randomly taking a backup and giving him a shot two leagues above the one he is struggling in. But when Toronto has an issue, they take the starter from us (which I don't disagree with). This kind of shows why the "five year plan" is coming close to a decade without anything close to a championship by the majority of the organization.

The other roster move was the acquisition of yet ANOTHER Rochester Red Wing, pitcher Jeremy Cummings. He was 3-5 with Rochester this year, having started 12 of the 17 games he appeared in, with an ERA of 3.93. He pitched last night for the Chiefs, giving up one run on two hits and two walks in two innings pitched.

That's all I have for now. If I get any info on the Kratz injury or the ejections, I'll post em up. If anyone has any info, leave me a comment.

No comments: